Thursday, September 6, 2012

Pinterest Inspired Newborn Stocking Cocoon

 
How cute is this picture?

After seeing this picture on Pinterest, I knew what I'd be doing for Snow's first photo shoot when she's born in December. I however was not going to be spending the $85 on the cocoon that's sold by this website, and since I had made the Easter bunny hat for Turbo's first photo shoot I decided to work on making Snow a much better priced cocoon.

Crochet Newborn Stocking Cocoon
Not too bad for making it up as I went if I do say so myself.
See the pattern after the jump



This is my first time writing a crochet pattern so bear with me and feel free to ask questions in the comments

What you'll need:
  • 1 Skein bulky red yarn
  • 1 Skein bulky white yarn
  • 12 mm crochet hook
Abbreviations:
sl st: slip stitch
ch: chain
sc: single crochet
hdc: half double crochet
 
Starting with red yarn
Forming the foot:
Round 1: ch 2, 5 hdc in second ch from hook, sl st to top of first hdc (5 hdc)
Round 2: ch 2, 2 hdc in same stitch and each stitch around, sl st to top of first hdc (10 hdc)
Round 3: ch 2, 1 hdc in same stitch, 2 hdc in next stitch, *1 hdc in next stitch,  2 hdc in next stitch, repeat from * around, sl st to join (15 hdc)
Round 4: ch 2, 1 hdc in same stitch, 1 hdc in next stitch, 2 hdc in next stitch, *1 hdc in next stitch, 1 hdc in next stitch, 2 hdc in next stitch, repeat from * around, sl st to join (20 hdc)
Round 5: ch 2, 1 hdc in same stitch, 1 hdc in each next two stitches, 2 hdc in next stitch, * 1 hdc in next 3 stitches, 2 hdc in next stitch, repeat from * around, sl st to join (25 hdc)
Rounds 6 - 10: hdc in each stitch (25 hdc)

Forming the heel:
Row 1: ch 2, hdc in same stitch, 7 hdc in next 8 stitches, sl st to 9th stitch (on the foot), turn (8 hdc)
Row 2: ch 2, hdc in same stitch, 9 hdc in next 9 stitches, sl st to next stitch (on the foot), turn (10 hdc)
Row 3: ch 2, hdc in same stitch, 11 hdc in next 11 stitches, sl st to next 2 stitches (on the foot), turn (12 hdc)
Row 4: ch 2, hdc in same stitch, 15 hdc in next 15 stitches, sl st to next 2 stitches (on the foot), turn (16 hdc)
Row 5: ch 2, hdc in same stitch, 19 hdc in next 19 stitches, sl st to join to foot

Forming the leg:
Continue from end of heel stitch
Round 1-7: ch 2, hdc in same stitch and each stitch around (25 hdc). Finish off and weave in tail

For the hood: Lay your stocking out on it's side and count 5 stitches from the middle back. Attach here.
Row 1-5: ch 2, (working towards the middle) 10 hdc in next 10 stitches, turn (10 hdc)
Row 6: fold hood in half at the top and sl st to close (stitch 1 to 10, 2 to 9, 3 to 8...)

White lining:
Row 1: sc in each stitch around leg and hood, sl st to join
Row 2: (scalloped edge) 2 hdc in joined stitch, sl st in same stitch, skip stitch, * sl st, 2hdc in same stitch, sl st, skip stitch, repeat from * around leg and hood, sl st to join.

I hope you all enjoy your newborn cocoon photo prop as much as I'm hoping to


6 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am trying to make this stocking but having trouble with the heel. I don't understand how to do 7 hdc in the next 8 stitches and I am coming up a stitch short on every row of the heel. Can you help me please?

    ReplyDelete
  3. At the end of the heel, I did the first round of the leg and there are 32 stitches, not 25. I have remade the heel three times and still not the count you say it should be. I'm going to try one more time. Any help is appreciated.

    ReplyDelete
  4. this pattern is big enough for a newborn to fit in right? Because the first 10 rounds make it look really tiny...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Same here as it will fit a doll

    ReplyDelete
  6. Im making adjustments so it will fit my great grandson

    ReplyDelete