Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Honey Oat Bread

Doesn't this look delicious?


I'm working on stocking my freezer right now so that as we get closer to baby #2's arrival I will have less and less to do. With that I have also been trying to save some money and make a lot of things at home since we'll be down to 1 income once I go on maternity leave. With that said, my family LOVES bread (notice 1/2 of one of the loaves is already gone). I've made bread before, but usually it's banana or zucchini bread. I also make biscuits and muffins as quick breakfast or additions to meals, but never something for sandwiches.

While browsing Pinterest I found a blog by a woman who, like me, likes having a stocked freezer but hates having to plan the day before for something to be defrosted in the fridge. She posted this recipe for whole wheat honey oat bread that is dense enough for sandwiches and is delicious. Once it's cooled it can be sliced for sandwiches and frozen. It thaws quickly and tastes just as good after being frozen.

Get the recipe here.

Fair warning... This makes a lot of bread. The recipe on her site stated that it would make one large loaf. So I figured "I'll just double it. That way I have a loaf for now, and one for the freezer." After I let it rise the first time it was obvious that my "double batch" would not be fitting in my 2 loaf pans. I ended up with four loaves.

So now I think I'm going to go have a slice of toast with home made pomegranate jelly. Happy Baking!

No comments:

Post a Comment