Saturday, June 1, 2013

Home Made Baby Food

Home made baby food is so easy to make, and incredibly cheap compared to the store bought versions. Unfortunately, it can be difficult to find good combo recipes. Below, I've compiled a list of some of the ones I've been making for Madison.





These have been collected and modified from multiple sites including:
I make mine in a regular old food processor, but you can make it in whatever works for you. You can also puree these to different consistencies depending on what stage your baby is at. my daughters always enjoyed more texture and a little bit of chunkiness to their baby food.

Banana-cado: 1 whole banana, 1 whole avocado. No need to cook anything, just puree until smooth

Spinach, Peas, and Pear: 2 cups of defrosted frozen spinach (or fresh, wilted in a little olive or coconut oil on the stovetop), 2 cups steamed peas, and 2 steamed pears. Puree to desired consistency

Minty Peas: 1 cup steamed peas, 1 whole banana, 1 tbsp chopped fresh mint. Puree

Roasted Banana and Pear: 2 bananas cut in half lengthwise and 2 pears chopped. Roast in the oven on a cookie sheet at 400 degrees for 25 minutes. Puree

Pumpkin Applesauce: Equal parts canned pumpkin with applesauce (home made or from a jar). Blend and season with cinnamon, cloves, and ginger to taste.

Banana Berry Quinoa: 1 whole banana, 1 cup fresh or frozen berries, 1 cup cooked quinoa. Puree

Prunes: Fill mason jar 1/3 full of pitted prunes. Add equal parts water and allow to sit for several hours to rehydrate prunes. Blend until smooth. For a thinner consistency, increase water.  (These prunes work so much better than the store bought prunes for when my girls get constipated)

I have found that the easiest way for me to store baby food is to freeze it in ice cube trays and then store in zip-lock bags in the freezer. I can then pull out as many cubes as needed from different flavors as I need them.

Of course you should always check with your pediatrician before starting solid foods, and always introduce one food at a time so that if your baby has a reaction you know what food is causing it.

For even more baby food recipes click HERE

2 comments:

  1. Thank you! This was incredibly helpful. Do you buy organic?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad it could help. I was getting really frustrated trying to find good combos, so I figured other people probably were too. I try to buy organic when I can, but it just gets so expensive. Most times I just stick with the dirty dozen and get other things organic when I can get a good deal on them.

      I also really like to get frozen fruits and veggies. I know that they're fresh when they're frozen, and that way if one (or both) of my girls are giving me a rough day I don't have to worry about cooking the food that day and it'll still be good

      Delete